A Get Out of Jail Free card is an element of the board game Monopoly which has become a popular metaphor for something that will get one out of an undesired situation.
Use in the game
The U.S. version of the board game Monopoly has two Get Out of Jail Free cards, with distinctive artwork. One, a "Community Chest" card, depicts a winged version of the game's mascot Mr. Monopoly in his tuxedo as he flies out of an open birdcage. The other, a "Chance" card, shows him booted out of a prison cell in a striped convict uniform. Using one of these cards is one of the ways a player can get out of jail; the card reads:
THIS CARD MAY BE KEPTFREE
UNTIL NEEDED OR SOLD
GET OUT OF JAIL
Players move around the Monopoly board according to dice throws. Most of the tiles players land on are properties that can be bought. There is also a tile, the Jail, that can hold players and cause them to lose their turn until certain conditions are met. They can end up in this space by landing on the "Go to Jail" tile, throwing three doubles in a row, or drawing a "Go to Jail" card from Community Chest or Chance. The Get Out of Jail Free card frees the player from jail to continue playing and progress around the board without paying a fee, then must be returned to the respective deck upon playing it. As the card's text says, it can also be sold by the possessing player to another player for a price that is "agreeable by both". Since players would ordinarily pay $50 to leave jail, the card is rarely sold for more than that.
- In 1567, the prize in Britain's first lottery, commissioned by Queen Elizabeth I and Sir Frances Drake to raise funds for England's navy, included a kind of "get out of jail free card" which the winner could use to excuse any but the most serious crimes.
- In 1967, James Robert Ringrose, one of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives, presented a Get Out of Jail Free card to FBI agents after he was arrested.
- In the U.S. Supreme Court case Hudson v. Michigan (2006), the Court ruled that use of evidence against a defendant obtained through search warrants in instances that the police failed to knock-and-announce does not violate the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution. The majority opinion by Justice Scalia notes that suppressing evidence in such instances would amount "in many cases to a get-out-of-jail-free card."
- The Patrolmen's Benevolent Association of the City of New York, a large NYPD union, gives out cards to officers to distribute to friends and family, giving them preferential treatment for minor offenses. The cards are commonly referred to as "get out of jail free" cards, and are sometimes sold on eBay. .
- ^Ritchie, L. David (2013). Metaphor. Cambridge University Press. p. 174. ISBN 9781107022546.
- ^"The First National Lottery". British Library. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- ^Dary Matera, FBI's Ten Most Wanted (NY, Harper Torch, 2003) page 43.
- ^Hudson v. Michigan (2006) 546 U.S. 586 at 595, 126 S.Ct. 2159 at 2166, 165 L.Ed.2d 56 at 67 |url=https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/04-1360.ZO.html |
- ^Kilgannon, Corey (11 January 2006). "A Perk for Friends of the Police, Now on eBay". New York Times.
- ^Balsamini, Dean (21 January 2018). "Police union slashes number of 'get out of jail free cards' issued". New York Post.
Get Out of Work "Free" Cards
Monopoly Cards for the Office
In the search for the perfect job, no employee expects to do hard time in a workplace wasteland or J-O-B Jail. Despite that, everyone finds themselves in a dead-end job from time to time, but now there's hope!
Whether you're bored at work, suffering from a career error in judgment or at the point of brain explosion due to hatred for your job, these Monopoly Cards for the workplace will help you dig yourself out of that hole.
Print and keep 'em for yourself for an emergency quitting, or, if you're a happy worker, print them for your working stiff co-workers.
Get Out Of J-O-B Jail Free Card
Landed in J-O-B Jail after committing an error of judgment at work? No problem, the Get Out Of J-O-B Jail Free Card will put you back on good terms, while only sacrificing a small mouthful of pride. >>> Learn the rules & download...
Get Out Of Work "Free" Card
Avoid becoming a working stiff with the Get Out Of Work "Free" Card. Simply print and deliver to the boss to escape your wasted career.
>>> Learn the rules & download...